A coroner has today (28th September) found Pret A Manger’s procedure for monitoring and recording problems with food was “inadequate and incoherent” in 2016.
Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, died in 2016 after eating a Pret A Manger baguette on a British Airways flight.
Natasha had a severe sesame allergy and the baguette she purchased in a Pret at Heathrow Airport was not labelled as containing sesame seeds.
Coroner Dr. Sean Cummings said: “The baguette was manufactured to Pret specifications and contained sesame to which she was allergic.
“There was no specific allergen information on the baguette packaging or on the (food display cabinet) and Natasha was reassured by that.”
Natasha’s father has said it is ‘clear’ that food labelling laws as they stand today are “not fit for purpose”.
He added: “It is now time to change the law. The inquest shows she died because of inadequate food labelling laws.
“We were shocked to learn there had been a number of previous serious allergic incidents involving sesame seeds at Pret a Manger before our daughter died.”
Pret a Manger’s chief executive Clive Schlee told Food Management Today: “We cannot begin to comprehend the pain the family have felt and the grief they will continue to feel.
“We’ve listened to everything the coroner and Natasha’s family have said and we will learn from it.”
Schlee says he wants “meaningful change” to come from the tragedy and will ensure that it does.