The winners of the Meat Management Industry Awards 2020 have been announced in a brand new online format.
The initiative recognises the very best of the UK meat industry, rewarding the companies, organisations, products and suppliers across 18 different categories. The ceremony was co-presented by celebrity magician and TV presenter, Ben Hanlin and publisher of both Meat Management and Food Management Today magazine, Graham Yandell.
Viewers were also treated to highlights of some of the most memorable and funny moments from previous Awards.
The 2020 winners:
- The Catering Butcher Award – Aubrey Allen Ltd.
- Best Trade Organisation – Association of Independent Meat Suppliers (AIMS).
- Best Online Business – The Village Butchers: thevillagebutchers.co.uk
- Best Equipment/Machinery Supplier – Handtmann Ltd.
- Training Scheme of the Year – ftc Butchers Trailblazer Apprentice Scheme
- Supermarket/Multiple Meat Retailer of the Year – Marks & Spencer
- Britain’s Best Sausage – Tesco Finest 4 Pork, Red Leicester Cheese and Jalapeno Hot Dogs, by Walkers Deli & Sausage Co.
- Britain’s Best Burger – Asda Chilli Con Carne Beef Quarter Pounders, by ABP.
- Britain’s Best Meat Pie – Marks & Spencer MMMummy Meat Loaf, by Linden Foods.
- Best Bacon Product – Co-op Irresistible Smoked Back Bacon Rashers, by Pilgrim’s Pride Ltd (formerly Tulip Ltd).
- Best Free From Product – Waitrose & Partners 6 British Pork & Caramelised Red Onion Sausages, by Walkers Deli & Sausage Co.
- Best Poultry Product – Aldi Specially Selected Butter Basted Roast Chicken Breast, by Cranswick Convenience Foods.
- Best Beef Product – Marks & Spencer British Duke of Beef, by Linden Foods.
- Best Pork/Pigmeat Product – Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference British Pork Crackling Rib Roast Joint, by Cranswick Country Foods.
- Best Lamb Product – Lidl Birchwood Minted Lamb Kebabs, by Dunbia.
- Best Red Meat Product – Marks & Spencer British Duke of Beef, by Linden Foods.
- Manufacturer of the Year – Cranswick plc.
- The Meat Management Excellence Award – Norman Bagley, head of policy, Association of Independent Meat Suppliers.
The Young Manager of the Year category and Britain’s Best Butchers Shop category took a gap year in 2020 as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, but both categories are scheduled to return in 2021.
Graham Yandell commented on the initiative: “Despite the challenges we faced in the run up these Awards, it’s great to be able to recognise the amazing people, products, companies and organisations that make up this wonderful industry. Although we were unable to hold a celebratory dinner as we have done in previous years, this online format, along with the fabulous performance from our guest host, Ben Hanlin, allowed us to continue to shine the brightest of lights on the industry.
“We had nearly 1,000 products entered and judged earlier this year and voting and nominations were once again very substantial across all the non-product categories.
“For anyone that was unable to stream the presentation live, the full ceremony is now available on demand at meatmanagement.com/watch-awards, it’s a lot of fun and features many really big names and great products. Once again, I would like to say a big thank you to all of the partners that have supported this initiative and to everyone who has participated.”
Winner of the Excellence Award for his outstanding contribution to the UK meat industry, Norman Bagley, head of policy at the Association of Independent Meat Suppliers, said: “I am proud to have won the Meat Management Excellence Award 2020 and to share this with my team, and most of all to share with all AIMS members, as it is they who deliver excellence every day in the form of fresh meat and poultry for consumers in the UK and overseas markets.”
Pam Brook, editor of Food Management Today magazine, concluded: “Many congratulations to all our worthy winners and finalists. In the most challenging of years, it’s great to be able to take the time to recognise some of the most important figures that help keep this country fed on a daily basis.”
Thanks to the Awards partners: